President Reagan signs the legislation
authorizing the creation of the Federal Circuit, the
Federal Courts Improvement Act of 1982, in a Rose Garden
ceremony on April 2, 1982.
The Federal Circuit Historical Society
was established in 1999 for the purpose of expanding
public awareness of the history and heritage of the
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
A few of the current
projects underway are:
- Recording oral histories to preserve
the history of the court in the actual words of the
judges and other individuals who are part of the story.
The Society assembles and conducts audio and video
interview of the judges. It publishes transcripts
of the oral histories which could be made available
to researchers, and will continue to conduct interviews
of all of the judges of the Court.
- Helping to preserve documents, records,
data, and other significant information about the
Federal Circuit, including items that are of national
significance, such as the papers, articles, and speeches
of all judges of the Court.
- Using the Society’s website and
other means to publish documents, recordings, and
other information of historical significance about
the Federal Circuit.
- Collecting or acquiring, through gift
or loan, or by purchase, documents, recordings, or
objects of historical significance concerning the
Federal Circuit, and incorporating them into continuing
displays and educational exhibits in the Howard T.
Markey National Courts Building or elsewhere.
- Publishing an annual journal of historical
articles about the court.
|As a member,
- Support the activities of the Society.
- Be invited to periodic meetings and
educational events held by the Society.
- Be entitled to attend the Society’s
- As the Society expands, receive mailings
and written publications.
|In addition to its courthouse
in the National Courts Building, completed in 1967,
the Federal Circuit occupies the Tayloe House, the
former Cosmos Club (now the Federal Circuit Annex),
and the adjacent Dolley Madison House on Lafayette
Square, which was built in 1820. Dolley Madison
is pictured above.